On Thu, Oct 1, 2026 at 5:26 AM Laurenz Albe <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2026-09-29 at 15:00 -0300, Matemática A3K wrote:
> > > > Yeah, that last part could use some cleanup.  I’d probably rewrite
> it using csv though instead of tab-delimited so as to remove the need for a
> parenthetical.
> > > >
> > > > David J.
> >
> > I'm attaching the patch although without the format that Laurenz used
> (not sure if it is needed though).
> >
> > It fixes the problem and removes the parenthetical, do you think is OK?
>
> No issue with the format of the patch, but with the content.
>

OK

The COPY statement uses the default tab-separated TEXT format, so your CSV
> data
> wouldn't work with it.
>

Good point, tab-separated should be what is shown to better align with the
command mentioned


> The wording in the documentation is confusing, because it does not indicate
> that the file below belongs to the COPY statement above.
>

I agree, it refers to another file and seems disjointed


> I think this should read:
>
>   You could also have used COPY to load large amounts of data from
> flat-text files. [...]
>   An example would be:
>
>      COPY weather FROM '/home/user/weather.txt';
>
>   where the file name for the source file must be available on the machine
> running the
>   backend process, not the client, since the backend process reads the
> file directly.
>   The file used in the <command>COPY</command> statement above could look
> as follows
>   (the values are separated by a tab character):
>
>      San Francisco      46      50      0.25    1994-11-27
>      San Francisco      43      57      0.0     1994-11-29
>      Hayward    37      54      \N      1994-11-29
>

I agree this is better, it is now crystal clear IMO. If David agrees, I'll
modify the patch to reflect this


>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe
>

Reply via email to