På onsdag 10. januar 2018 kl. 01:01:26, skrev Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de
<mailto:and...@anarazel.de>>:
On 2018-01-10 00:25:08 +0100, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
 > På tirsdag 09. januar 2018 kl. 23:42:45, skrev Rob Sargent <
 > robjsarg...@gmail.com <mailto:robjsarg...@gmail.com>>:
 >

 >    On 01/09/2018 03:30 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
 > På tirsdag 09. januar 2018 kl. 23:06:06, skrev Andres Freund <
 > and...@anarazel.de <mailto:and...@anarazel.de>>:
 > Hi,
 >
 >  On 2018-01-09 21:47:17 +0100, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
 >  > Does PG use HW-accellerated crc if CPU supports it[1]?
 >
 >  Yes we do, for WAL checksums. The page checksums are a different
 >  algorithm though, one which has the advantage of being SIMD compatible.
 >
 >  The checksum computations have some impact, but if there's bigger impact
 >  it's much more likely to be related to the fact that some hint bit
 >  writes to a page now needs to be WAL logged.
 >
 > But SIMD-instructions are also HW-accellerated by modern CPUs IIUC?

 Sure. Still measurable, but even if weren't, it's irrelevant given my
 primary point:

 >  The checksum computations have some impact, but if there's bigger impact
 >  it's much more likely to be related to the fact that some hint bit
 >  writes to a page now needs to be WAL logged.

 which isn't mitigated by SIMD / hardware CRC / whatnot.

Aha, so enabling CRC causes hint-bits to be written causing extra WAL-logging,
which woudn't be the case without CRC enabled?
Thanks for pointing that out.

-- Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS
Mobile: +47 909 56 963