On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 23:04:24 -0500,
 Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to> wrote:

I have a perl after insert trigger for a table with a non-null column element and I am getting an occasional error when the trigger executes for printing a null value which is $TD->{new}{element}. However, I do the insert with an on conflict that converts it into an update. And I have a before update trigger that blocks changing the record, but returns null if the old and new records are the same.

I think I misunderstood the error I was getting. I don't think the value being printed is null, but rather the socket instance I am trying to print to. I haven't tested this yet, but it makes sense and my other theory didn't match later evidence.