> On Aug 7, 2018, at 11:42, Ken Tanzer <ken.tan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume that's "for all users and all sessions," but either in theory or in
> practice is there a limit to how long a stale value might persist?  And, if
> you were to drop and recreate a function with the same name & parameters,
> would it start fresh at that point?  And is there a way to flush any caching?
>  (It's surely best to just declare Stable, but I'm wondering about cases that
> might have _very_ infrequently-changed values.)

Well, the extreme case is an IMMUTABLE function used to create an expression
index; then, the value lasts as long as the index does.  The best way to think
of an IMMUTABLE is that it is a pure function, unchanged by system state.
(This is one of the reasons that datetime-related functions are often STABLE
rather than IMMUTABLE, due to time zone changes.)

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com