On 10/2/18 1:47 PM, David Gauthier wrote:
Hi:
psql (9.6.7, server 9.5.2) on linux

How does one get the status of an sql statement executed in plpgsql?  If that status is cryptic, how can that be translated to something which someone could understand?   Finally, how can I effectively do a start transaction and either rollback or commit based on the results of the sql statements run?

Of course I don't know what the <capture the status> and "something_went_wrong" pieces look like, or they even make sense with how this sort of thing shold be properly handled in plpgsql.  Also, in

The below(read to bottom of the page) might help:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-ERROR-TRAPPING

my trials, it appears that plpgsql doesn't like "start transaction".  So how is that piece done ?

Thanks in Advance for any help !

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com