On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM Fabio Pardi <f.pa...@portavita.eu> wrote:
> unlogged tables are not written to WAL, therefore checkpoints do not fit into
> the picture (unless something else is writing data..).

That's my thought, and I was not expecting any big change in tps due
to checkpoint_completion_target on unlogged tables.

> It is not a good idea to have anything running in the background.

Yes, I know, but the activity in the database is a task importing data
on a per-schedule basis, always importing the same number of tuples
(and therefore the same data size). In other words, it is a very
constant and predictable workload.

> Also is always a good idea to run tests multiple times, and I think that 3 is
> the bare minimum.
> You want to make sure your tests are as reliable as possible, means having
> similar results between each other, therefore you might post all the results,
> not only the average, so people can give their interpretation of the data.

I'm trying to prepare a virual machine to run more tests in a
completely isolated environment.
But I was not trying to benchmarking the database, rather guessing
what caused the different tps in such environment.

> Assuming that the 'background activity' writes data, a value of
> (checkpoint_completion_target) 0.9 means that when your test starts, the
> system might be still busy in writing data from the previous checkpoint
> (which started before your pgbench test was launched). That is less likely to
> happen with a value of 0.1

Uhm...but in the logged table tests a value of 0.9 increases the tps,
that as far as I understand is in contrast with what you are stating.

Anyway, I'll test more and report back some more results.

Thanks,
Luca