On 9/18/19 6:13 AM, Marco Ippolito wrote:
Thanks Matthias,
very kind. Hopefully I will get some hints on how to solve my problem.

You should probably take a look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/postgresql.html

FYI, you should set the permission son /usr/lib/postgresql back to root and use:

sudo pg_ctl <command>

Marco

Il giorno mer 18 set 2019 alle ore 15:11 Matthias Apitz <g...@unixarea.de <mailto:g...@unixarea.de>> ha scritto:

    El día Wednesday, September 18, 2019 a las 12:44:20PM +0200, Marco
    Ippolito escribió:

     > thanks Andreas.
     >
     > After changing ownership of /usr/lib/postgresql to postgres user,
     >
     > postgres@pc:/home/marco$ /usr/lib/postgresql/11/bin/pg_ctl -D
     > /usr/local/pgsql/data -l /usr/lib/postgresql/11/log/logfile start
     > waiting for server to start.... done
     > server started
     > postgres@pc:/home/marco$
     >
     > But now... how to call and use psql?

    Marco, I compiled 11.4 on Linux for our needs and wrote a Confluence
    page about this and the cluster setup. I could send you this pages
    in PDF off-list.

             matthias
-- Matthias Apitz, ✉ g...@unixarea.de <mailto:g...@unixarea.de>,
    http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
    May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com