On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:01 AM Jim Hurne <jhu...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Other than the increasing elapsed times for the autovacuum, we don't see
> any other indication in the logs of a problem (no error messages, etc).
>
> We're currently using PostgreSQL version 10.10. Our service is JVM-based
> and we're using the PostgreSQL JDBC driver version 42.2.5.
>
> Have we stumbled upon a potential bug here, or do we need to tweak some
> autovacuum settings?  What should we look at next or what should we try
> next to further troubleshoot this?

What are your current autovacuum settings? Do you have long
running transactions with any frequency? Decreasing
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay to 1 or 2ms may be prudent (default changes
from 20ms down to 2ms with PG 12). Is this a destructive queue of sorts
with no rows permanently stored? If so, I would expect that a daily
scheduled vacuum analyze may be the best course of action.