Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> writes:
> * Adam Sjøgren (a...@koldfront.dk) wrote:
>> Sometimes new database logins slow down, from usually taking <0.05s to
>> taking minutes. This is for psql as a normal user using Kerberos, for
>> psql as the postgres superuser, for the web-application logging into the
>> database, for everything.

> When in doubt, blame DNS.

The trouble with outside-the-database explanations is that it's not
clear why stopping the worker processes would make such issues go away.

I think looking into pg_stat_activity and pg_locks might be interesting,
although it's possible the delay is before the new session has made
any entries there.

Also, obtaining stack traces from a few of the stuck processes would
likely be quite informative.

                        regards, tom lane