On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, Atul Kumar <akumar14...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Tom, I appended the -h /tmp and it worked.
>
> I need just one more help from you.
>
> Could you tell me that why & how that socket file existed in /tmp
> directory.

Because the server was configured that way:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

See: unix_socket_directories

Thing is, the client code doesn’t read the postgresql.conf configuration
file - it just knows its own compile-time default.  For some reason, your
client in one mode was compiled using a different default than the server
on the same machine. From which we infer you have two client installs on
your machine, each compiled using different defaults.

David J.