On 12/25/20 5:52 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
Hi.
I need to set a value in a trigger if a column is explicitly NOT specified in UPDATE's SET-clause.
Like for example having a "BEFORE UPDATE OF NOT"

create TRIGGER my_trigger
     BEFORE UPDATE OF NOT modified ON my_table FOR EACH ROW WHEN (OLD.val
<>NEW.val)
EXECUTE PROCEDURE do_stuff();

I want the trigger to be fired when the column "modified" is NOT specified, is it possible?

It will always be specified, it may or may not be changed. As example:

                      Table "public.animals"
 Column |          Type          | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+------------------------+-----------+----------+---------
 id     | integer                |           | not null |
 cond   | character varying(200) |           | not null |
 animal | character varying(200) |           | not null |

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.trg_test()
 RETURNS trigger
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
BEGIN
    RAISE NOTICE 'New id is: %, Old id is: %', NEW.id, OLD.id;
    RAISE NOTICE 'New cond is: %, Old cond is: %', NEW.cond, OLD.cond;
RAISE NOTICE 'New animal is: %, Old animal is: %', NEW.animal, OLD.animal;
    RETURN NEW;
END;
$function$
;

update animals set cond = 'skinny' where id = 4;
NOTICE:  New id is: 4, Old id is: 4
NOTICE:  New cond is: skinny, Old cond is: slim
NOTICE:  New animal is: dog,  Old animal is: dog
UPDATE 1

Or - is it possible to check for this in the trigger-function?

As David Johnson mentioned you can check whether the value for the column is changed:

NEW.animal <> OLD.animal

--
*Andreas Joseph Krogh*
CTO / Partner - Visena AS