On Mon, 7 Jun 2021, Sam Gendler wrote:

It still looks a lot like the salmo hostname is going to be a problem once
you have the client version sorted out. Postgresql is listening only on
127.0.0.1:5432 and pg_hba.conf only has entries for 127.0.0.1:5432, not
127.0.1.1 You can tell it to listen on all addresses with * in
listen_addresses, and then just put the appropriate value in pg_hba.conf
to allow connections on the address you will be using for the user you
will be using. That's in addition to the version mismatch problems you
seem to be having.

Sam,

The only use of 127.0.1.1 is for slrn, a newsreader I've not used in years.

I'm the only user on this system but I'll change listen_addresses to *.

Thanks,

Rich