Hi Adrian

On 10/12/21 6:01 μ.μ., Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 12/10/21 01:24, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Hi

The idea for future upgrades is to containerize certain aspects of the
software. The questions are (I am not skilled in docker, only minimal contact
with lxd) :
- is this a valid use case for containerization?
- are there any gotchas around postgersql, the reliability of the system ?
- since we are talking about 4+ basic services (pgsqk, jboss, uucp, samba), is
docker a good fit or should we be looking into lxd as well?
- are there any success stories of other after following a similar path?

My question is what is it going to change? The software in the containers still need to be maintained/upgraded and now you have added maintenance and management of the container software and communication between containers.

I think the rationale is that sysadms may upgrade system and kernel without caring about breaking things, the docker images of the respective services (jboss, pgsql, exim4, etc..) will evolve (more) independently.

Thank you!

PS

For those who wonder about UUCP, UUCP was our comms solution prior we installed TCP/IP on the vessels. However, to this day, it provides a nice management layer, a sort of protection before data leave the vessel or reach the vessel, in a user controlled manner. So uucp stayed as it matched exactly the business as far data transfers and emails are concerned. It would be hard to uniformly manage data transfers and emails in/out in a plain TCP/IP setup (rsync, ftp, etc, sendmail/exim4/postfix or other MTA).

--
Achilleas Mantzios
DBA, Analyst, IT Lead