Tom Lane schrieb am 13.10.2022 um 21:01:
When trying pg_upgrade to upgrade Postgres 14 to 15 on Windows 10 this fails
with:
pg_restore: error: could not execute query: ERROR:  could not find function
"xml_is_well_formed" in file "c:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/15/lib/pgxml.dll"

I don't understand why this functions is included in the dump in the first
place.

Indeed.  No such function should be present in any version of contrib/xml2
that was ever converted to extension style.  Have you never done that
in this DB?

Hmm, the xml2 extension is not installed in any of those databases.

Most databases were probably migrated over time from 8.4
and I can't rule out that I did install xml2 there at some time
in the past.

I checked pg_proc and it the function was there twice: one in pg_catalog
and one in the public schema.

After manually dropping the function from the public schema, pg_upgrade went
through.

It's probably not worth investigating how it got there.

I tried to create and drop the xml2 extension to see if that maybe leaves
the "orphaned" function in the public schema, but I couldn't reproduce it.

Regards
Thomas