On 1/10/23 09:57, Alicja Kucharczyk wrote:
wt., 10 sty 2023 o 14:57 Ron <ronljohnso...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

    On 1/10/23 07:14, Alicja Kucharczyk wrote:
    Do you know any use case for enabling log_duration? Like 3rd party
    tools for instance.
    I find this parameter pretty much useless (in opposite to
    log_min_duration_statement) as it does not show the query text, so
    besides having just the timing logged it is of no use in
    troubleshooting and often causes huge overhead. Am I missing something?

    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html

          Note

    The difference between enabling|log_duration|and
    settinglog_min_duration_statement

<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-logging.html#GUC-LOG-MIN-DURATION-STATEMENT>to
    zero is that exceeding|log_min_duration_statement|forces the text of
    the query to be logged, but this option doesn't. Thus,
    if|log_duration|is|on|and|log_min_duration_statement|has a positive
    value, all durations are logged but the query text is included only
    for statements exceeding the threshold. *This behavior can be useful
    for gathering statistics in high-load installations.*

thank you Ron.
My question is a bit more practical - Does anyone really find it useful?
What value brings the info that 20% of my query are under 1ms and 10% over 1 minute

If your application /*requires*/ subsecond response, and you're only getting subsecond response some of the time, then you obviously want to know why.  Part of that is checking to see if the database and queries are doing their job.

- If just checked once and then turned off - I can understand to have more visibility into the overall characteristics. But let say someone have it enabled on a production system all the time - what could be the reason for that?

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.