> adrian.kla...@aklaver.com wrote:
>
>> b...@yugabyte.com wrote:
>>
>>> laurenz.a...@cybertec.at wrote:
>>>
>>> You seem to think that a client request corresponds to a single database
>>> request
>>
>> …I can’t picture a concrete use case where, not withstanding the "where"
>> restriction that my "select" used, I can't tell how much of the result set
>> I'll need or where reading result #n1 informs me that I next need to scroll
>> and read result #n2. So I was looking for a convincing example.
>
> Huh?
>
> You provided your own example earlier:
>
> "Of course, it all falls into place now. I can see how I could write a client
> app in, say, Python to write a humongous report to a file by fetching
> manageably-sized chunks, time and again until done with a function like my
> "g()" here, from a cursor that I'd opened using a function like my "f()"."

My “Humongous report via client-side Python” example doesn’t call for me to
abandon it part way through. Nor does it call for me to leap forwards as I
discover facts along the way that make me realize that I need immediately to
see a far distant fact by scrolling to where it is (and especially by scrolling
backwards to what I’ve already seen). It was an example of this that I was
asking for. The bare ability to do controlled piecewise materialization and
fetch is clear.