> On 29 Mar 2023, at 21:11, Sebastien Flaesch <sebastien.flae...@4js.com> wrote:
>
> Oh the use of default keyword is new to me, thanks for that.
>
> But to make PostgreSQL more Informix-compatible, zero should have been
> considered as well.

…No, I’m not going to be humble about this opinion… Postgres does a sane thing
here.
It’s Informix that you should be complaining about. Zero is not a sane value to
specify special behaviour, it could mean zero and be just as valid. By
consequence, Informix probably forbids zero as a sequence value, but that is an
artefact (and a limitation) of its implementation, not a feature.

The core of your problem however, is that you’re trying to get
database-agnostic behaviour by relying on database-specific features. That is
not going to work, you’ve just been lucky enough to get away with it until now.

There’s really only one realistic answer here: Fix your design.

Regards,
Alban Hertroys
--
There is always an exception to always.