Hello,
in the postgresql.conf joined, 2 things (at least) look strange:
1) the values for background writer are the default values, fit for a
server with a limited writes throughput.
you may want to increase those, like:
bgwriter_delay = 50ms
bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 400
bgwriter_lru_multiplier = 4.0
and check the checkpoint log to see if there are still backend processes
writes.

2) work_mem is set to 2 GB.
so, if 50 simultaneous requests use at least one buffer for sorting,
joining, ..., you will consume 100 GB of RAM
this value seems huge for the kind of config/usage you describe.
You may try to set work_mem to 100 MB and check what's happening.

Also check the logs, postgres tells his life there...

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect
+33607850334
www.mokadb.com