On Sunday, February 11, 2024, veem v <veema0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 at 19:02, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pg...@hjp.at> wrote:
>
>> > Similarly for Number/Numeric data type.
>>
>> Number in Oracle and numeric in PostgreSQL are variable length types.
>> But in PostgreSQL you also have a lot of fixed length numeric types
>> (from boolean to bigint as well as float4 and float8) and you would
>> normally prefer those over numeric (unless you really need a decimal or
>> very long type). So padding is something you would encounter in a
>> typical PostgreSQL database while it just wouldn't happen in a typical
>> Oracle database.
>>

>> When you said *"you would normally prefer those over numeric " *I was
> thinking the opposite. As you mentioned integer is a fixed length data type
> and will occupy 4 bytes whether you store 15 or 99999999.But in case of
> variable length type like Number or numeric , it will resize itself based
> on the actual data, So is there any downside of going with the variable
> length data type like Numeric, Varchar type always for defining the data
> elements?

Regardless of the size of the actual data in a variable width column expect
that the size and computational overhead is going to make using that field
more costly than using a fixed width field.  You don’t have a choice for
text, it is always variable width, but for numeric, if can use an integer
variant you will come out ahead versus numeric.

David J.