Thanks for the reply.

When you say "dump/restore" do you mean pg_dump then running the resulting
SQL into the destination DB?
I like the replication option myself best (min downtime), especially as we
use a DB alias for connections.  But I don't think I'll be able to sell
that to the IT group.

Regarding the safety of running a "drop extension plperlu cascade" on the
v11.5, would you consider that to be safe GIVEN that there are no plperlu
procs that it will affect?  I need to be able to tell IT that I'm not the
only one who thinks that it's safe.