Re: \dt shows table but \d says the table doesn't exist ?

Fri, 03 May 2024 15:08:54 -0700

On Fri, 3 May 2024 at 17:28, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

This is one of the places where it's unfortunate that our English-text
> rule for quoting a string to set it off from the rest of the error
> message collides with SQL's rule for quoting an identifier.  Leaving
> out the outer quotes would be contrary to our style guide, but having
> them there can be confusing too to people who know SQL well.

I'm not sure if this is a serious suggestion or not: enclose the name of
the table, as you would type it in psql, between curly quotes.

So for example:

“table_name”
“"TableNameWithUpperCaseLetters"”

In a context where the curly quotes and surrounding message could be in a
non-monospaced typeface and the table name (including double quote marks if
needed) in a monospaced typeface this would be more natural.