On Wednesday, May 22, 2024, Skorpeo Skorpeo <skorpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if having unrelated columns in a table is a sound approach
> when using json.  In other words, if I have two collections of unrelated
> json objects, for example "Users" and "Inventory", would it be ok to have
> one table with a "Users" column and a "Inventory" column?  My concern is
> that from a row perspective the columns could be different lengths, such as
> more inventory items as users.  And for any given row the data in one
> column would have no relation to another column. I would only query a
> single column at a time.
>
> Would this approach be ok or are there pitfalls such that it would be
> advantageous/recommended to have a separate table for each column?
>
> Any thoughts/inputs are greatly appreciated.

What do you expect to gain?  The relational model and normalization has
earned its longevity, I suggest you learn and apply those techniques.
Which generally means avoiding json as a data type. (The single table
abomination you describe isn’t even really on the table - you did a fine
job arguing against it yourself.)

David J.