On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 2:16 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Pavel Luzanov <p.luza...@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> > On 08.07.2024 22:22, Christophe Pettus wrote:
> >> This is more curiosity than anything else.  In the v16 role system, is
> there actually any reason to grant membership in a role to a different
> role, but with SET FALSE, INHERIT FALSE, and ADMIN FALSE?  Does the role
> granted membership gain any ability it didn't have before in that case?
>
> > Looks like there is one ability.
> > Authentication in pg_hba.conf "USER" field via +role syntax.
>
> Hmm, if that check doesn't require INHERIT TRUE I'd say it's
> a bug.

The code doesn't support that claim.  It seems quite intentional that this
check is purely on membership - what with ACL having a dedicated function
for the purpose of checking plain recursive membership that only this and
the circularity check code use.  I suppose it makes sense too - at least
unless you also check for SET - since it seems desirable to allow login as
a member role to a group you can only SET to and don't inherit from.

David J.