> On 10 Jul 2024, at 06:58, Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com> wrote:
>
> On 7/9/24 17:46, Craig McIlwee wrote:
>> Full error message from earlier in the thread:
>> > psql:scripts/insert-addrs.sql:488: ERROR:  syntax error at or near ";"
>> > LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636');
>> >                                                                           ^
>>    The error:
>>    LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636')
>>    is giving you the line number and the data:
>>    a) Navigate to that line number using whatever method Joe has for that.
>>    b) Search for '85250 Red House Rd'.
>> The input file is 488 lines (presumably, since Rich said the file should
>> insert 488 rows).  It seems like too much of a coincidence that the last
>> character of the last line is really the error.  My guess is that there
>
> This assumes that there where only INSERT lines and that each INSERT was only
> one line. I have bit by those assumptions before, hence my suggestion to
> actually find line 488.
>
>> is an unmatched character, perhaps a parenthesis, that is throwing off the
>> parser because it doesn't expect the statement to terminate yet.  Maybe that
>> unmatched char really is on the last line, but '85250 Red House Rd' doesn't
>> seem like the issue.  I don't know anything about the joe editor, but I'd
>> hope that any decent editor with syntax highlighting would make it apparent
>> where things went awry.
>> Craig

Is this a single INSERT statement with multiple tuples after VALUES? Then
perhaps an earlier line (my bet would be on line 487) accidentally ends with a
semi-colon instead of a comma?

Something like this:

INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, ..., coln) VALUES
(..., ..., ); -- <-- This terminates the INSERT
(..., ..., ); -- <-- Now this line make no sense

Alban Hertroys