I am just contacting you to talk about a current issue with our database.
We have run out of a positive sequence in one of our tables and are now
operating with negative sequences. To address this, we plan to migrate from
the int4 ID column to an int8 ID column.

The plan involves renaming the int8 column to the id column and setting it
as the primary key. However, this process will require downtime, which may
be substantial in a production environment. Fortunately, we have noted that
other tables do not use the id column as a foreign key, which may help
mitigate some concerns.
Our Approach:

   1.

   *Create a Unique Index*: We will first create a unique index on the new
   ID column before renaming it and altering it to be non-nullable. This step
   will necessitate scanning the entire table to verify uniqueness.
   2.

   *Add Primary Key*: After ensuring the uniqueness, we will add the ID
   column as the primary key. By doing this, we hope to bypass the additional
   scanning for uniqueness and nullability, as the column will already be set
   as not nullable and will have the uniqueness constraint from the unique

We want to confirm if this approach will work as expected. If we should be
aware of any potential pitfalls or considerations, could you please provide
insights or point us toward relevant documentation?

Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to your guidance.

Best regards,

Aditya Narayan Singh
Loyalty Juggernaut Inc.

--

*Confidentiality Warning:*
This message and any attachments are intended