Hi there, I have been doing some performance testing with ODBC and have
found that
ODBC is much slower than using C to call the Psql API
I don't understand why the results are like this, I thought ODBC would
slow things down a bit but not my much, all its doing in sending off SQL
straight the server?

Test

Server: 486 50mhz, 16 mb Ram
Client: P266, 32 mb Ram
SQL: 1000 INSERT INTO's with quite a lot of fields. Read from a text
input file

ODBC Test
Windows 98 running VB6 and the freeware ODBC driver (I forget the name)
Using TCP/IP network.
The VB program will do about 30 records per minute.

C Test
Linux C program, reads input file, calls API's. Run on Client PC so
still communicates over the network.
This setup will do 340 record per minute

My only guess is that the following bottlenecks are in the system:
VB6 code that reads the text file - unlikely, it run's very quick if you
remove the db.Execute call.
ODBC parsing, maybe
Something crappy about Windows, more likely

Any ideas?????

--
End of Martin's email. \0