From: Tom Lane [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:33:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] exit code -1073741819

"Shuo Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:>> Whoa ... that is a whole lot more data
than I'm used to seeing in>> TopMemoryContext. How many stats dump lines are
there exactly (from>> here to the crash report)? > OK, I didn't know that was a
surprise. There are about 600 stats dump lines > in between.Well, my suspicion
was correct: there were boatloads of memory contexts,but we weren't seeing all
of them.  The answer is twofold:1. Your function is opening a cursor (maybe
more than one, I didn't readtoo carefully) on each iteration, and not closing
it.  This results ina sizable amount of memory being eaten --- it looks like a
couplehundred K per cursor on my machine.  Eventually you run out of memory.2.
PostGIS has a bug that causes a guaranteed crash once you run out ofmemory, if
you've been using transform(), because it sets up a memorycontext that has no
stats() method.  That's why the context statsprintout failed partway through
--- it crashed as soon as it came toone of the
PostGIS contexts.I've complained to the PostGIS folk about the latter, and
hopefullythey'll fix it in their next release.  Meanwhile, you need to be
morecareful about closing cursors when you're done with them.
   regards, tom lane---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner
will ignore your desire to       choose an index scan if your joining column's
datatypes do not       match