Benjamin,

what version of postgres and what type of index you used ?
The best setup is to use partitioning with rather small table for new data and GiST index and big archive table with static data and GIN index. I have some slides from PGDay
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/talks/fts-pgday-2007.pdf
Also, did you consider using dblink/dbilink to scale your search ?

Oleg