Tom Lane wrote:
Joseph S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... and when I notice that the tuplesperpage for the indexes is low (or that the indexes are bigger then the tables themselves) I know it is time for a VACUUM FULL and REINDEX on that table.

If you are taking the latter as a blind must-be-wrong condition, you are
fooling yourself -- it's not true for small tables.

I know it isn't true for small tables. Tables can have a size of 0 but the minimum size for an index seems to be two pages. Indexes can also rival the size of the table when the table when the index is on all the columns of the table. But most of the time having an index bigger than the table itself mean I need a REINDEX.

Have you checked whether the VACUUM FULL + REINDEX actually makes
anything smaller?

Yes. I'm mostly seeing the problem on tables of counts that are updated frequently by triggers on other tables. It seems autovacuum can't keep up with the frequency of updates. The table size itself can shrink by 50%, but the indexes can shrink by 90%.

I just ran my VACUUM FULL/REINDEX script at 11am. Last time I ran it was 930pm last night. Some before/afters:

BEFORE

pg_catalog      pg_class        table   172,032 19.476
pg_catalog      pg_class_oid_index      index   57,344  58.429
pg_catalog      pg_class_relname_nsp_index      index   180,224 18.591

AFTER

pg_catalog      pg_class        table   90,112  41.3
pg_catalog      pg_class_oid_index      index   32,768  103
pg_catalog      pg_class_relname_nsp_index      index   73,728  59

BEFORE

public  acount  table   434,176 119.302
public  acount_pkey     index   172,032 301.095
public  ad_x_idx        index   638,976 36.551

AFTER

public  acount  table   335,872 155.561
public  acount_pkey     index   163,840 318.9
public  a_x_idx index   131,072 221.143