"Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> At this point, you are in a world of hurt :). If you stop a vacuum you
> have created a huge mess of dead rows in that table.

Only if it was a vacuum full, which he didn't mention having tried.

I'm kinda wondering whether the vacuum and reindex did anything at all,
or were blocked by some other process holding a lock on the table.
If they weren't blocked, then the problem is insufficient patience,
possibly combined with insufficient maintenance_work_mem.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster