On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:00 , David Siebert wrote:

I have a very old postgres server that I am trying to move the data off
of. It is running 7.1 and has been trouble free for 6 plus years.
I am trying to move the data base off to a server running 8.1.

In my opinion you should look at 8.2, not 8.1. And 8.3 is on the horizon :)

I have managed to back up the data using PG_Dump using like this.
" pg_dump -b -Fc -h stan.someplace.com -u phone >phone.data"

Be sure to use the 8.2 pg_dump, not the 7.1 pg_dump, against the 7.1 database.

But I have had no luck getting PG_Restore to restore the data.

It would be helpful if you provided the exact pg_restore command you're using (again, it should be the 8.2 version of pg_restore) and the exact error you're getting. Otherwise it's difficult for us to know what's going on.

Any suggestions on what the command line should look like?

You might need to use adddepend, which is a contrib module included in 8.1 (not 8.2 AIUI). (Perhaps 8.2 includes this functionality in core? You can probably check the release notes for 8.2 for details.)

I really want to migrate it before the PII 266 it is running on
gives up the ghost  :)

Not only the hardware :) 7.1 includes known data-eating bugs.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

              http://archives.postgresql.org/