On 9/25/07, Scott Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But since it hit all of your machines, and at about the same time, I
> tend to think that someone did something to these machines that caused
> this issue, and it's not a 7.4.x problem.

I'm sure it is pilot error, and we're still trying to figure out exactly
which pilot and what error.

Did you update / upgrade kernels, device drivers, hardware, etc...
> What is common between all these systems besides postgresql?  Was
> there a power outage?  All machines had the same admin one day who had
> a brain cramp and did something stupid?

This occurred as part of an upgrade -- new OS, kernel, drivers.

Simply put, we need more info on how this happened.

We've recovered. There is root cause analysis going on. The question is
whether I can use an argument about 8.0 vs. 7.4 reliability from this fiasco
to help us get to 8.0.
8.0 actually is more reliable than 7.4, I assume.

Morris