Scott Marlowe wrote:
PostgreSQL is ... still not in the
same realm for really really big transactional sites, but man is it
geting close fast.

I beg to differ. All anecdotal evidence, and also Sun benchmarks with Postgres, show that it is not only "in the same realm" but can actually come out ahead. <http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-20070703-00073.html> <http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470>
This publication shows that a properly tuned PostgreSQL is not only as fast or faster than MySQL, but almost as fast as Oracle (since the hardware platforms are different, it's hard to compare directly). This is something we've been saying for the last 2 years, and now we can prove it.

There are links to the SPEC site which shows the tuning parameters.

--
Lew

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq