Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I tried something like that briefly and it failed. The trouble is, I
> think, that since the engine tries a require it fails on the op test
> before it even looks to see if the module is already loaded.

I think we have little choice but to report this as a Perl bug.  It
essentially means that a "safe" interpreter cannot decide to preload
modules that it thinks are safe; and to add insult to injury, the
engine is apparently trying to require utf8 in some very low-level,
hidden-behind-the-scenes place, yet using high-level trappable
operations to do that.  Maybe those are two different bugs.  Either
utf8 is part of the Perl core or it isn't; you can't have it both ways.

                        regards, tom lane