John Wells wrote:
> On 12/4/07, Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There are no field separators.  Perhaps you could extract some useful
> > info with pg_filedump, which you can grab at
> > http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb
>
> So is it simply field width? Can one count the number of bytes based
> on native datatype length and determine field start/end?

Yes.  For variable length types, there is a 4-byte length word at the
start of the field (unless you are using 8.3 which introduces more
compact representations in some cases).

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
"If it wasn't for my companion, I believe I'd be having