Richard Huxton, 12.12.2007 16:12:
Hmm - I'm not sure it does benefit that much. I mean, if you're going to be accessing XXXA, then XXXB, XXXC etc. in order then it clearly helps to have the table with the same order as your primary key. Otherwise, I'd be doubtful you'd see that much benefit.

At least for Oracle it's not mainly the order that improves the performance, but the fact that all the data is kept in the index, so Oracle does not need to go back to the table data after looking up the index entry. There is no "table data" for an index-organized table in Oracle, so only a single lookup is needed.

Thomas

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq