Colin Wetherbee wrote:
My guess, having written this, is that your approach might be more useful for applications that rely heavily on interaction with a database. I'd appreciate any more comments you have on this, though.

Tom, Sam, and Ted (a lovely assortment of three-letter names), thank you very much for your input on my situation. You've given me quite a lot to consider.

For now, I will stick with Tom's and Ted's recommendations for a while, but I'll also keep Sam's ideas in mind if this application becomes more heavily reliant on the database.

Colin

              http://archives.postgresql.org/