Hi,

when a warm standby "slave" database is being maintained, what is the best way to keep the WAL archive files from cluttering up the disk? According to http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/warm-standby.html it seems to me that one could either initiate periodic backups (stop PITR slave; pg_start_backup() & rsync & pg_stop_backuo(); start recovery) and delete all files before the "START WAL LOCATION" mentioned in the *.backup file, or just keep the PITR slave running and use pg_controldata to identify the files that are no longer needed (although I'm not sure how to translate a checkpoint location to a WAL archive filename).

What's a reliable way to do this?

Thanks,
 Marinos

              http://archives.postgresql.org/