On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Stefan Schwarzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
After running initdb the postmaster started smoothly. I stopped it,
copied my database files into the same location, started the
postmaster again, and then got this error message:

schwarzers-mac-mini:/usr/local/pgsql schwarzer$ /usr/local/bin/ pg_ctl
-D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l postgres.log start
        pg_ctl: could not open PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/
postmaster.pid": Permission denied

You're trying to start the server as yourself (user schwarzer) but the
files all belong to user postgres:

drwx------   16 postgres  admin   544 Jan 23 18:23 data

The files have to be owned by the user that runs the server.  If you
want to switch over to doing that as schwarzer, a quick "chown -R"
will help.

Oh, stupid me! Gush, I'll never learn it...

But nevertheless:

When I start the postmaster it seems ok. But there is no process running. When I try to stop it it says:

pg_ctl: PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" does not exist
Is postmaster running?

I slowly get the feeling that all my efforts are in vain...

Stef