On 2/4/08 9:53 AM, "Vivek Khera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> what you need to do is compare the relpages from the pg_class table
> for that index before and after.
>
> if you didn't get much disk space back, make sure you have no long
> running transactions that may have kept some older files open.

I can check that next time, but I only reindex about once a year.  There
definitely should be no outstanding transactions.

The reason for the huge change in the vacuum time is that the indexes are
scanned in index order instead of disk order.  I understand that is fixed in
8.2 or 8.3 (don't recall which I saw it in), but have never gotten
confirmation from anyone on that.

Wes

       match