Bill Wordsworth wrote on 25.03.2008 21:04:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Thomas Kellerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Bill Wordsworth wrote on 25.03.2008 19:16:
When traffic goes up, my webserver creates multiple instances of
postgresql.exe. At some basic level, aren't they similar to Oracle's RAC
"clusters", except that they are not aware of each other?
No, absolutely not. Each client request is handled by a single postgres
process
which is spawned by the postmaster upon connection.

Thanks Joshua and Thomas. I guess my ignorance is showing :). Anyway, is
this spawning being done by postmaster or webserver or both?

By the postmaster - for every connection initiated by the "client" (connection pool in the app server, richt client, ...)

Thomas