Instead of doing this:

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "my_custom_func" (in_value bigint)
  RETURNS SETOF record AS
  $body$
  $body$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

I'd like to be able to do this:

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "my_custom_func" (in_value bigint)
  RETURNS SETOF (col1name BIGINT, col2name TEXT, ...) AS
  $body$
  $body$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

Because this is the only function that will be returning that TYPE and I don't want to have to create a separate type definition just for the return results of this function.

Maybe even more cool would be if the OUT record was already defined so that I could simply select into that record to send our new rows:

   RETURN NEXT OUT;

   OUT.col1name := 12345;
   RETURN NEXT OUT;

   SELECT 12345, 'sample'
   INTO OUT.col1name, OUT.col2name;
   RETURN NEXT OUT;

Just as you've allowed me to define the IN variable names without needing the legacy 'ALIAS $1 ...' format, I'd like to name the returned record column names and types in a simple declaration like I show above.

Does this feature request make sense to everyone? It would make programming set returning record functions a lot easier.

-- Dante