Tom,

Yea, about that lock that I *said* I didn't have...  We had been joining
through the pg_class and pg_tables tables to get some additional data and it
turns out the row in the pg_locks that shows as locked doesn't have a
relation so it was filtered out due to the join.

So, now that I have accurate data (just doing a select * from pg_locks where
granted = 'f') I indeed have an outstanding lock that isn't granted that is
causing the holdup.  However, now I have a couple of other questions.

First, I thought I've seen in the past where Postgres will recognize a
deadlock and will log an error and then move on.  Do I need to do something
with the more recent code base to get that behavior?  I think the last time
I saw that was back on an 8.1.X code base.

Second, any words of wisdom to help run to ground who's keeping me from
getting the lock on the offending row?  The row in the lock table that shows
granted false does not show as belonging to a database or relation (both
null) so I can't join through to get the table info from pg_table.

Thanks for all the help,
-Craig