To: "Tom Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Andy Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Bottom Posting

"Tom Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Bottom line: have some respect for your readers.  Make it easy to
distinguish what you wrote from the preceding material, and remember
that the only reason you are quoting anything at all is to provide some
context for what you are saying.  We don't need to re-read the entire
darn thread.

I don't think the people who top-post or quote the entire message are doing it out of disrespect. They just have never been exposed to the traditional style.

The main reason I posted this was to demonstrate that there's really no reason to quote the original message. My response was only to this one point and not the longer previous point. I actually think this is a more important point to get across than simply "don't top post" which just seems to generate lots of
"bottom posts" that are just as bad.

--
 Gregory Stark