On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Craig Ringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> You might want to look into advisory locking. If your locks don't need
> to be longer than the life of an active EntityManager session then you
> can probably just issue a native query through the EntityManager to
> acquire the lock before doing anything more.

Thank you very much for this and the link.  (I'm much more an OOP programmer
than a DB programmer.)  Too bad about the non-portability, but I suppose it
had to be.

I am a little bemused that the only supported Java persistence strategy is
to try the operation, and then react to failure by recreating the entire
transaction.  At first I assumed I could catch the exception and then re-do
the one table operation that had failed...nope, not in a transaction any
more.