Bill Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The following SELECT INTO returns incorrect values in the variables
> CATEGORY_NAME and PARENT_ID. If I copy the SELECT statement to pgAdmin,
> delete the INTO clause and run the query it returns the correct values.

You didn't show us the whole function definition, so this is just
speculation, but I wonder whether any of the function's variable or
parameter names match any of the table column names used in the query.
For instance if you had a function parameter named CATEGORY or
CATEGORY_ID, you'd get surprising results because the value of that
parameter would get substituted for what you're thinking is a column
reference.

                        regards, tom lane