Tom Lane wrote:
"Darren Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
There is a postgres user account on my OSX system.  I'm not clear
about how it was created.  I've installed a binary version of 8.3 in
/Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/ and built another version from source into
/usr/local/pgsql/.  When I login as root and then 'su - postgres' it
takes me to the postgres account and the user directory is at
/opt/local/var/db/postgresql83/.

Can someone explain how this user account was created?

I'm guessing that binary package created it for you --- check its docs,
or look at the install script if you can.

Quite sure that the EDB binary installer sets /Library/PostgreSQL8 as the home path, matching the install location.

The /opt/local/..... home path would indicate that you used macports or similar at some stage and the install from there would have created it.

As the postgres user existed the EDB installer would have left it as is.

If you want a GUI to alter the home location of the existing user account run NetInfo Manager which is in /Applications/Utilities

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz