On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:58 AM, David Fetter wrote:
Roles,

We have 'em.

We do NOT have secure application roles or anywhere near the level of configurability in security aspects as Oracle. We've got a great foundation, but we lack a lot of fine-grained granularity (e.g. an Oracle SAR can allow a role to execute a particular function based on the result of another function call or query, which has rather a lot of possibilities - consider grant connect on database to staff when hour_of_day () between 9 and 6; also consider row-level and column- level and even field-level access controls).

It's complicated in Oracle, but there's a lot of possibilities there that we simply cannot reproduce. But this could be extended one day. :)

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe
Database Architect, The Berkeley Electronic Press