Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your quick response!

Hoover, Jeffrey wrote:

select (SELECT name from colnames WHERE id=1) as entry from entries;

I think, I should have been a bit clearer in what I need:

I've got two tables, colnames and entries:

test=# SELECT * from colnames;
 id | name
----+------
  1 | col1
(1 row)

test=# SELECT entry from entries;
 entry
--------
 first
 second
 third
(3 rows)

I would like to get the column name "entry" replaced by an alias "col1", just like this:

test=# SELECT entry as col1 from entries;
  col1
--------
 first
 second
 third
(3 rows)

_But_, I don't want to give the alias explicitely, instead it should be taken from a second table 'colnames', i.e. something like the line I sent in my initial mail. Any idea?

Thanks again,

Felix

BTW, here's what I get from your command:

test=# select (SELECT name from colnames WHERE id=1) as entry from entries;
 entry
-------
 col1
 col1