Greetings!

The database we install at our customers as part of our product includes
an event_history table.  For some reason lost in the mists of time, the
most important field in that table, the description, is a varchar field
specified to be only 64 characters long.  This leads me to a more
fundamental question:  why specify the length of a varchar field at all?
Is there a big difference between the amount of disk space taken up by
"abc" stored in a varchar(64) field and stored in a varchar field?  How
much space does an unspecified-length varchar field take up?  Are there
other reasons to use varchar(64) instead of varchar?

Thank you very much!

RobR